Friday, February 8, 2008

Water For Elephants


Water for Elephants is the story of Jacob Jankowski’'s life with this circus. He is in his nineties and living in a nursing home. He reflects on his life from the time he left his veterinary medicine exams at Cornell and joins the circus. The circus he joins is a second rate circus called the Benzini Brothers. It is far below Ringling Brothers. This is during the time of the depression. It has a fat woman, a tattooed man, ect.
I really enjoyed this book. I have to admit I didn’t know what the book was about when I got it. I just sort of liked the off-ness of the cover. I think if I would have known that it was about the circus I don’t think I would have read it. I don’t think of myself as somebody who would enjoy a book about the circus but I guess I am. I will say it is one of those books that wraps up in a neat little bow in the end. I am not complaining about the ending I am just saying its nice and neat. So, in this case I am glad I judged the book by the cover.

No comments: