Monday, February 16, 2009

Music Monday: I Know Where I'm Going



All of my life music has played a very important role in my life.

When I was young my parents really loved country music. We lived in the country. The Judds were a really popular group in the 80’s. My mom really liked the Judds. I have the greatest hits and can sing just about all their songs word for word. A lot of their songs hold a special meaning or memory. The one I want to talk about today is from the ACM award show of April 1988. You know at that time the groups used to sing the new song out not the most popular. I remember trying to stay up with my Mom to watch those award shows. I didn’t see them do this song. However, the next day Mom filled us in on details of the show. I remember Mom half saying half singing ‘I know where I’m going don’t you want to come to’, and I said ‘yes where are we going’, she said ‘I got my reservation and I got one for you’, and I said ‘I want to go where are we going’. She laughed and laughed. You might think that the half saying and half singing part is made up, but it wasn’t. My Mom sang around the house a lot when I was a kid. To be honest it is some of the best memories of my Mother. My Mother would not have got up in front of a group of people and sang. But she used to sing around the house all the time. She used to mess up the lyrics and we would correct her and she would say shut up who is singing the song. I find myself doing the same thing. I change the lyrics to fit whatever is going on. The one my kids love the best is ‘My Bonnie lives over the ocean’. I always change the name. I have a lot of examples of this so I won’t bore you to death, but I do hope my children look back on this family kookiness with fondness and know that I love them just as I know my Mom loves me.

No comments: